Friday, October 10, 2008

What does RCASA do?

Since starting my job at RCASA, I must have been asked the question, "Taryn what exactly does your job entail? What does your organization provide to the community at large?" at least once a day. At first, this question was posed to me by my parents, grand-parents, and extended family. I had spent most of college confusing them with the statement, "I'm a Women's studies major" like it was something I made up. Now I explain to them that I am one of the Community Outreach Advocates, which is just a small part of what RCASA does.

RCASA is a non-profit organization based out of Fredericksburg, VA. However, we serve Stafford County, Spotsylvania County, Caroline County, King George County, and the City of Fredericksburg. Our jurisdiction that we cover is located in between Richmond, VA and Washington D.C.. We live in an area that is growing on a daily basis and becoming more culturally diverse in what feels like every minute. However, the idea of sexual assault or rape is something that is hard for this area to wrap it's head around. The reason for this is when you drive into the city of Fredericksburg it's quaint shops, picturesque houses, and neighbors that wave as they drive or walk down the street. It is a town where people want to pretend that horrific crimes do not take place. Well, I am here to say that they do. And, we hear about only a small portion of them. But, when something like rape or sexual assault takes place our office is there.

In terms of crisis situations, we provide 24 hour Crisis Hotline, Emergency medical & hospital accompaniment, crisis support counseling. We offer services to the communities, for example, Educational Presentations, Prevention programs, court and legal accompaniment, and allied professional training. Our counseling services has just started a brand new Trauma Therapy Program, Individual therapy, Family Education, and Survivor Support Groups.

All in all, it's pretty much the best place to work regardless of the horrible things we deal with on a day to day basis. Look for more blogs from my fellow co-workers soon.

No comments: