Monday, November 3, 2008

Letter from a concerned individual

So, I came into the office this morning and found an e-mail from a concerned female. I am posting her e-mail here in hopes to shed light on the media's portray of rape in television, films, etc. This e-mail is an opinion and does not reflect the opinion of RCASA.

I do not even know how to begin this email because I have never done this before. I have never been the type of person to write or call someone just to complain, but I think that this is an issue that should be put out in the open. I am writing as many organizations as possible to help fix the situation.

TV, music, internet, etc. all had a way of influencing young adults minds. Sadly, not everyone takes responsibility in what they are putting out there.

One of the most popular tv shows among young adults/college students is Family Guy. I myself have been a fan for years. One of the great things about Family Guy is that they push their jokes to the edge, but I believe that they are starting to go overboard on the matter of rape. It has lately bothered me with its several comments about rape, but it is out of hand now. They even had a short segment where a women was being raped screaming for help.


I am worried that by joking on this issue they are making it less serious and even hinting that it is ok to do. Family Guy has even hypocritically stated in their show that certain comments, even if they are joking, lead to others carrying them out. I am sure that Family Guy has to realize that a large portion of their viewers are young adults or college students that are still developing their minds and opinions. This really is disturbing since a great number of rapes happen in college settings by young men. With Family Guy putting an image out there that rape is a laughable matter, are they telling young men that this is a funny thing to do? I am truly scared that the numbers of rape will increase with all of these jokes on one of young mens favorite TV shows.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I just wanted to get the issue out there.



No comments: